Mystic Pizza Box

Mystic Pizza Box
A slice of heaven

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Vincent on Stanley Kubrick and shining all the way through it-September ...



Vincent describes the creation of Private Pyle for Full Metal Jacket and how Stanley Kubrick advised him to play him "Lon Chaney-big" in the murder-suicide scene, which took just three takes! Vincent also shares some acting advice he received as a young actor when he was told that "even when I was failing, I was shining. Even in my worst performance, I was shining." He learned that you have to respect your talent and fully commit to your craft "with both feet in the water." This was the last question Vincent answered before the Actor's Dialogue ended at around 10:30 AM last Sunday. I spoke with Vincent briefly outside and he said "Hi. it's nice to see you again." That was so cool! :)

7 comments:

  1. Easy to say when you're overflowing with talent! Me...I tarnish easily... ;) And to some degree, one should be a little cautious when putting both feet in the water...especially if one cannot swim, like me! Do they make "floaties" for those over 40? ;)

    ...and the wise-ass strikes again! :)

    Thanks, Blanca, for these wonderful glimpses into the mind of a genius...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you again, really enjoying your videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blanca are there anymore videos to share? I keep checking back, enjoying this so much, you are one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Sharon, be a wise-ass! LOL Wish we could have met up at Woodstock last weekend. I'm happy I was able to attend the WFF this year and can share part of that experience with you all. Yes, Rose, there will be more vids from the Artist's Panel. I need to edit the footage which is over an hour long but there's some great stuff coming your way, so stay tuned.

    Thanks for reading and commenting!Mwaah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was so interesting when he spoke about "shining", which he clearly does. He's always said that he didn't want to become so popular for fear it would thrust him into the public, and, being a private person, did not want that to happen. But, it is the fact that he does shine that we notice him, appreciate his acting and recently at the Actor's Dialogue panel, was honest, charming and engaging. So, what does he expect us to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait, really enjoy hearing the stories, and how he feels. Can't even begin to imagine how tired he was doing CI when the hours were so long, leaves nothing else but to work and sleep. Even a person in their twenties and thirties, would have a hard time keeping up with those hours, especially if you are also married with kids. LOL just noticed that I should have posted this on the other video comments, but was just thinking about how overwhelming those hours and hard work would be, exhausted just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me want to say "Marge, he's shining! Come in, he's shining!" LOL I can certainly sympathize with Vincent's comment when he was discussing working on LO:CI. "Even when I was forty, I was tired." Those 19 hour days for 10 months at a time put him in the hospital!

    ReplyDelete